Friday, September 07, 2007

Very little to do with ethnomusicology

I am waiting on some guest commentary, so, today I will do some music reviews.

1. Skweee: Skweee (note the three Es) is my new favorite genre of music. Skweee is a form of Electro from Northern Europe. There are two Skweee record labels (that I know about); Harmonia and Flogsta Danshall. You can listen to tracks on both of their MySpace pages, they have regular websites as well. I'm not sure what else to say, except, 1. I plan to make my own Skweee t-shirt, 2. I think we should have a Skweee dance party here in Roseburg, and 3. I really like saying Skweee and noting that it has three Es.

2. M.I.A - Kala: I mentioned seeing M.I.A at Conney Island. Her/their new album Kala is well worth checking out. One song on the album includes samples of children singing, guns, and a cash register. This particular track offended Lindsey terribly. Lindsey is very sensitive, apparently. Lindsey's sensitivity reminds me of this dance party where Evelyn was terribly offended by Peaches.

3. Speaking of Peaches, one my other new favorite genres of music is Electrocrass. Electrocrass is a sub-genre of Electroclash with sexually explicit lyrics. I recommend checking out Captain Ahab, they do a song called Snakes on the Brain based on Snakes on a Plane. Maybe I will make a mix tape for Lindsey and Evelyn.

4. Eurovission Song Contest: The Eurovision Song Contest is kind of like American Idol, except, it has nothing to do with America, the competition has been around since 1955, and it is so much bigger than American Idol (or any of the other Idol shows). In this annual competition countries throughout Europe put forward their most powerful performers, to sing songs and compete for global dominance. I haven't actually seen any of the competition, but, I'm sure I would like it. Oh yeah, and it's where ABBA got their big break.

I could go on, but I think this is enough fodder to keep people entertained for a while.

p.s. As Roseburg has no record stores and especially no record store carrying any of the aforementioned genres of music. If you wanted to make me a Skweee mix tape, I would be very happy...my birthday is coming up you know...

5 comments:

rachel hawthorn said...

Kala is up there on my current faves as well. I like listening to 20 Dollar over and over at work, much to the chagrin of the person who shares a cube wall with me.

KidLogic said...

check out my mix page www.musicv2.com/artist/kidlogic I have a half hour mix at the end of the set I did for a radio show called "the Beatdown" on KUCI in Irvine, CA. I will be posting two new skweee mixes there in the very near future aswell... also google Kool DJ Dust - he has a dope mix around somewhere and he is also the one who coined the name Skweee! Enjoy!

KidLogic said...

Heres another SkweeeMix for you... this one was live at JAM in Los Angeles - Enjoy!

http://www.divshare.com/download/1936589-be2

Gabriel said...

Thank you for the musical links Mr. Logic. I am one step closer to having a dance party here in "The Country."

KidLogic said...

We may possibly be having some of the Skweee producers over here for a mini-tour, which may land them in San Francisco and Vancouver as well as down here in Los Angeles, Toronto and New York... keep checking www.nationofskweee.com for details and updates! Hope you enjoy the mixes, they have a more permanent home on my Virb page at www.virb.com/kidlogic

Gabriel Burian-Mohr