Sunday, January 14, 2007

Nebraska has closed all of it's rest areas

Me, Laura and Julia went to the Bongo Room for breakfast. The waitress spilled coffee on Laura. Julia gave me a car sculpture. I went back to Village Thrift and bought a boom-box for $8.00, said boom-box takes eight D batteries. The gas station didn't have enough batteries so I had to stop at a corner store.

I drove through the Illinois countryside, this was for the most part uneventful. Stopped at a truck stop in Des Moines, Iowa and had a "spicy" chicken sandwich. Called Rachel to let her know I would be getting to Denver later than expected. All of the rest areas in Iowa are clean, well lit, offer free wireless internet access and provide machines for vending coffee with lightener (I had the hot chocolate), what I'm trying to say here is that Iowa's many, many rest areas are great and other states should really take a rest area lesson from Iowa.

At some point I enter Nebraska. I will note that Nebraska's rest areas, witch there are NOT many, don't hold a candle to Iowas rest areas and most of them are closed for some reason. My plan had been to drive until I could drive no more and then sleep at a rest area. After passing many closed rest areas I finally decided to stop and find a place to sleep. I pulled off the highway and wondered why there were giant piles of sand everywhere. I guess I hadn't realized that there was snow in this part of the world. I slept in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr