Friday, August 15, 2008

Thoughts on Rhianna

As some of you may know; I have a soft spot in my heart for Rhianna. More specifically for Rhianna's song Umbrella. ( I would have attached links to the song but 1. it's not that hard too find. 2. you probably already know the song. and 3. if you don't know the song, you would just roll your eyes when you heard it.).

Whatever, I don't care if you think the song is stupid. I happen to know, for a fact, that lots of the things you like are also stupid.

Some time back, I was driving through a city and was listening to the college/alternative/whatever radio station and they were playing this indie-rock/pop/whatever cover of Umbrella. The new version was acousticy with a woman singing (not dissimilar to the Taken By Trees cover of Sweet Child o' Mine).

Anyway, I was looking for the Rhianna cover on the place-where-people-go-to-find-songs-they-want-to-listen-to. I found several covers of Rhianna's Umbrella. Each one was worse than the next, well actually maybe the first one was the worst. I would add links for these bands that did covers of Rhianna's Umbrella, but, I don't want to give there websites any more traffic than they may already have and I wouldn't want my linking to them to be accidentally construed as an endorsement by My Awesome/Actual Camera™.

I guess my point is that I didn't find the song. And the nine or ten covers I DID find were worse than awful. And I forced myself to sit through the choruses just so I could listen to these emotional men (did I mention that all of the copies of the song I found were performed by men with guitars?) try and warble their voices. While I am a man and I DO like the song, it is not a song to be covered by a man. Should a man try and cover Dolly Parton's I will Always Love You? The answer is NO.

Be a F***ing man and sing man songs.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr