Wednesday, September 27, 2006

La Jetée

Alison' parents picked me up at 7:00 to go to the airport, I was tired and the trip was uneventful.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is their plane taking off.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Got coffee & a guava and cheese pastry on my way back. I am now the driver of a sporty and ecological Toyota Prius.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Went back to Pomona to the synthesizer store and got 3 modules. In favor of not boring my "audience" I will not go into detail.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Except to say that the whole transaction took longer than it should have, and I think that guy who works there is a little smug.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
stopped at Goodwill that seems to have been converted to a thrift-by-the-pound.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Started building a case for my new synthesizer.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Headed to the Cherry & something gallery in Santa Monica to see Pan sonic play.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Got a delicious "Amp" energy drink and batteries for this fine camera at a drug store that looked as if it had been struck by looters, the guy at the register assured me they had not.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I should have known better than to get to a show on time.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Stood around for a while. It seems like this particular gallery I specializes in figurative painting and electronic music, well isn't that something...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Waited around some more, luckily there was free (with price of admission) beer. Tecate appears to be the beer of choice for all Los Angeles openings.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Eventually the show started, in the backyard of this gallery, there was a sheet in between the audience and the alley behind the gallery.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The first act was these two guys, who looked oddly familiar. I'm not sure I completely got it, they were quite stoic and did a set that consisted of I guess you would call them songs. These songs were, almost, dancy...almost, and had very simple keyboard "riffs" that sometimes made sense and sometimes didn't. I wondered if we were supposed to dance or sway or something. I will also note that the name of this duo was never mentioned or printed in anything I read or heard.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
during the break these two guys behind me were talking about the Los Angeles art scene and also possibly their DJ stylings. At one point they were talking about how location dictated what art would be shown, so I turned around and asked where the Culver City galleries fit into all this, they answered me but, I think I might have creeped them out a little bit.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Eventually Pan Sonic came out from behind the curtain from a van that was parked in the alley.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It was a pretty good show from what you might gather in these action shots.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr