Wednesday, February 28, 2007

No pictures, just hate

There will be no pictures for a few days, due in no small part to Apple.

I mentioned last week that my computers power supply died. The power supply was 4 months old. The power supply was a replacement for another Apple power supply. At the time I bought the more expensive Apple manufactured power supply, because one would think that the original manufacturer equipment would be a safer bet than buying off-brand products.

Anyway.

I called Apple, they said I would have to pay $45 to talk to tech support. While the power supply did cost more than $45, I'm am not willing to pay the money unless I know there is a pretty good chance they will fix the problem. Yesterday I called Apple to register a complaint; 1. the product should really last longer than 4 months 2. Apple shouldn't charge me $45 to talk about my problem 3. how are they supposed to address this problem if they are unwilling to hear about it without me paying them 1/2 the price of the product.

Today I plan to call and register a new complaint regarding how they dealt with my prior complaint. 1. It is really not clear where complaints should be directed, I ended up talking to a sales person 2. while I didn't think the guy I spoke to was un-friendly or anything like that, he didn't ask my name, what specific product I was calling in regards to, at the end he apologized, not because I think he cared, but because that is how a complaint should generally be ended. I am not trying to complain about the man I spoke to, but about the protocol regarding how a complaint is dealt with. I've worked enough retail/service industry jobs to know that the customer is generally wrong and that the malfunction is probably their own fault. But, you (the company) have to at least pretend that you care, you have to a the very least make it seem like you are going to remedy the customers problem, you have to take down the customers information so if a solution is found, then the customer could be contacted, or maybe an apology could be issued. You have to take down the product information, I don't think i need to explain why this is important. The thing is, Apple is a company that, I thought, prided itself on customer service and user-friendly-ness, just because my computer is 4 years old doesn't mean that it is less important. How Apple treats me now affects how I will feel about them in the future. Just because I'm poor now doesn't mean I will always be. I know, because of various research, that Apple has captured markets that are generally thought of as un-capture-able, but, they should also realize that these particular markets are also poor, fickle and vocal in regards to complaining...especially, via the internet. I'm just saying, word travels fast in the jungle.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr