Monday, May 12, 2008

New favorite words

I was reading about Phineas Gage and I came across these great new words. I can't wait to incorporate them into my vocabulary.

braggadocio: A boastful character

vainglorious: Characterized by or exhibiting excessive vanity


I was also looking at A Classical Dictionary of a Vulgar Tongue by Francis Grose, 1931. Where I also found some good words. The only problem being that many of the words are defined using other words that I have never heard and that are not defined.

Here are a few other ones I plan to use.

Cut: Drunk

A little cut over the head: slightly intoxicated.

To cut up well: To die rich

Sees: The eyes

2 comments:

pril said...

i have recently enjoyed the word lugubrious.

Gabriel said...

That is a good one. I really do need a better word for expressing the fact that I am excessively mournful.

Gabriel Burian-Mohr