Friday, September 26, 2008

Historical acuracy

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here is a short(ish) story: About a year ago the Douglas County Museum of Cultural and Natural History put up their wine exhibit (I did "work" at the opening of this show, so there ought to be a post about it, I distinctly remember wanting to comment that one particular person's boyfriend was an asshole and that their was a tasty truffle infused cheese and that it may have been the event that led to the ultimate exile of Ben Brady. But the post is lost somewhere between June and November 2007). For the exhibit the museum director, Gardener Chappell, commissioned a local artist to create a small gold colored sculpture/carving of Bacchus. When Gardener saw the sculpture he had commissioned, he said (I paraphrase) "That sculpture is hideous, I'm not paying for that". So the sculpture was shoved into a broom closet and the artist's invoice was ignored. Christmas time rolls around and there is a pot luck/secret Santa event, Lee Ann brings said Bacchus sculpture as her secret Santa gift, because the Douglas County Museum off Cultural and Natural History wants nothing to do with it. At the secret Santa event; David ended up taking the sculpture home. So a few months later Maggie and David are packing up their apartment (which was above mine, in case you forgot) and as it turns out; they have a lot more stuff than they thought. So I end up with the Bacchus sculpture, not because I want it mind you, just because it wont fit in thier car. So I put Bacchus in the garden as a decorative alternative to a lawn gnome. Their Bacchus stays, until my new neighbor moves in, plants a flower bed (in what I was calling a garden but was really a dirt pile) and moves Bacchus because she thinks he's creepy. Ok, Bacchus has been moved and was just hanging out next to my dead potted plants. Now I am moving out, I put Bacchus in the car with plans of setting him up at the new place. I go by the Douglas County Museum of Cultural and Natural History to give Lee Ann a record player and a TV, while I am doing this; Lee Ann moved something from her trunk to Gardener's trunk. I said "hey! is Gardener's car open?". So I put Bacchus in Gardener's drivers seat. I wish I could have stuck around to see him get his Bacchus back.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr