Saturday, June 21, 2008

Things I don't want to talk about

Today is the first day of Summer. We officially had 10 real days of spring this year. My blog will continue complaining about the lack of spring for a another week or so but I thought I would take a moment and break through the fourth wall (or is it the third) and address the audience and give you a special list of things I don't want to talk about (I will note that complaining about the lack of spring is not on this list, as I plan to complain about it until I finally forget).

And so:

Politics: While I know it's important and, honestly, I do care. I just don't want to talk about it. And the thing is; we generally assume that individuals within a certain socio-economic group are all on the same team, and share similar, if not identical, views on politics; there is always a closet republican in the group who is way too embarrassed to speak up. So, usually when the subject of politics comes up; I stop paying attention and just try and figure out who's the closet republican. Yes, I am talking about you.

Money: I think this one is a given, I think most people don't want to talk about it unless they have a lot of it or none at all. I think sometimes we accidentally get into conversations about money at which point one must take it upon themselves to say "oh wait. I think we have accidentally moved into a conversation about money and I am getting exponentially bored by the second."

Jane Austin: If I even hear the beginnings of mentioning Pride and Prejudice; my brain automatically shuts down and I star making grocery lists in my head.

Software: While I may know what program your talking about and very well could know how to use it; if you try and talk to me about computer software I will pretend I don't know what your talking about.

Why I should like the Beatles: Talking about the Beatles is kind of like talking about religion; we all have our views and there is very little, shy of divine intervention, that is going to change those views. Both sides have their set of arguments. The arguments don't change and while I may have a response to your argument, you already have a response to my rebuttal. And the fact is; talking about the Beatles is boring, especially if we have to talk about the goofy looking one who beat up his one legged wife.

No comments:

Gabriel Burian-Mohr